Mark Semeraro has over 20 years of experience in commercial and complex civil litigation. He regularly represents various individuals and business entities, including several fortune 500 companies, large scale real estate developers and various governmental entities in land use applications, transactional matters, commercial leasing, employment and labor law and general counsel.
Additionally, he regularly defends insurance carriers, insurance funds and self-insured entities in auto negligence, errors and omissions/professional liability, employment liability, toxic tort, civil rights and commercial liability, public entity liability claims as well as in mass tort (class action) and toxic tort litigation.
Prior to joining Kaufman, Semeraro & Leibman, LLP, he was a partner in McManimon & Scotland LLC, where he handled several noteworthy matters including the newsworthy matter In Re Alleged Mahwah Toxic Dumpsite matter that was the subject of the HBO documentary entitled “Toxic Legacy” in which he was lead defense counsel on behalf of the Borough of Ringwood in a class action lawsuit consisting of over 650 plaintiffs involving allegations of personal injury caused by environmental contamination and carried with it a one-billion dollar demand.
Mr. Semeraro has also developed a practice niche representing real estate agencies, brokers and agents in transactional, litigation and administrative matters.
He has successfully litigated several high profile law suits involving commercial litigation, employment litigation (including NJ Law Against Discrimination), civil rights litigation, environmental and toxic tort litigation, mass tort and class action litigation and regularly appears in all state and federal courts within NJ and in NY’s eastern and southern counties.
Education and Previous Professional Experience
- B.A., William Paterson College, Wayne, NJ
- J.D., Quinnipiac University School of Law, Hamden, CT
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Sylvan G. Rothenberg, J.S.C.
- Barrister, Justice Clifford Inns of Court, 1999
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court (New Jersey)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Third Circuit)
Honors and Awards
- Bergen County Top Lawyer, 201 Magazine, May 2012
- Good Scout of the Year, Northern New Jersey Council of The Boy Scouts of America, 2008
- Highest Attorney Rating in Ethics and Skills (AV) Martindale Hubbell
- A.M. Best recommended insurance defense attorney
- Bergen County (NJ) Bar Association
- Associate Member of the New Jersey Institute of Local Government Attorneys
- ICSC (International Shopping Center Owners Council)
- CIANJ (Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey)