Marc Leibman is a partner at Kaufman Semeraro & Leibman, LLP and a trial attorney with an extensive background in tax litigation, Federal criminal law, New Jersey state criminal law and commercial litigation. Mr. Leibman heads the firm’s criminal law practice, which includes white collar crimes, big and small narcotics cases, sex crimes, assault and arson. In 2004, Mr. Leibman was appointed by the United States District Court of New Jersey to represent criminal defendants in Federal Court on serious federal offenses. Mr. Leibman has also served as a municipal prosecutor for the Borough of Leonia. Mr. Leibman has defended clients in federal courts in New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, Texas, North Carolina and Virginia.
Aside from criminal law, Mr. Leibman devotes a considerable amount of his practice to land use and zoning matters. Mr. Leibman serves or has served as Board Attorney to zoning and planning boards in Hoboken, Palisades Park, Paramus, Fair Lawn, New Milford, Dumont, River Vale and Woodcliff Lake. Mr. Leibman also represents individual and corporate clients before various zoning and planning boards throughout Bergen and Hudson counties. Mr. Leibman has previously served as Borough Attorney in New Milford (2013-2014).
Mr. Leibman has experience in a wide range of commercial litigation matters. Mr. Leibman heads the firm’s real estate tax appeals practice involving properties assessed in tens of millions of dollars. He represents both municipalities and taxpayers in the county tax boards and the tax courts, and has achieved substantial success in this area. Mr. Leibman’s property tax practice is not limited to large commercial properties. He also handles appeals on behalf of condominium unit owners and luxury homes.
Education and Previous Professional Experience
- J.D., Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, NJ
- B.A., Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
- Associate with Willis & Young, P.C.
- Southern District of New York
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- Owners Maintenance Corp v. Fort Lee, 22 N.J. Tax 648, 2005
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star Criminal Attorney by New Jersey Monthly Magazine, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, Super Lawyers 2017
- Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Fort Lee, NJ, Super Lawyers 2018
- Changes to New Jersey Expungement Law, New Jersey Lawyer
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Bergen County Bar Association Criminal Committee
- Bergen County Bar Association Land Use Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Association