Justin D. Santagata Esq., LLM
Justin Santagata, Esq. has been an associate at Kaufman Semeraro & Leibman, LLP since 2009. Mr. Santagata has substantial experience as lead counsel in complex commercial and civil litigation, including complaints in lieu of prerogative writs, civil rights actions, labor and employment law, administrative law, public entity defense, and corporate governance and shareholder disputes, particularly in federal court.
Mr. Santagata is involved in representation of government entities and employer–clients on a day-to-day basis, such as the Borough of Ringwood and the Borough of Paramus. And Mr. Santagata has extensive appellate experience. He has argued at New Jersey’s Appellate Division and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and has been lead counsel in over fifteen appeals at New Jersey’s Appellate Division and Supreme Court (petition only), the Third Circuit Court of Appeals, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court (petition only).
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Santagata served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Valerie Armstrong, A.J.S.C, New Jersey Superior Court, Cape May/Atlantic County Vicinage (Atlantic City, New Jersey) and at Mooney Green Baker & Saindon LLP, a union-side labor law firm in Washington, D.C. He was awarded the Papps Labor Law Fellowship by Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law.
In 2014 Mr. Santagata received his Masters of Law from Cardozo School of Law in litigation, advocacy and dispute resolution, where he now teaches legal research and writing.
Areas of Practice
- Supreme Court of the United States
- New York/New Jersey
- Federal District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- LL.M., Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D., Catholic University, Washington, DC
- B.A., English, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Representative Clients and Cases
- Borough of Ringwood: day-to-day labor representation, defense of discrimination and wrongful termination cases, challenge to ballot petition
- Global InterXchange LLC: day-to-day representation, negotiation of large telecommunications lease
- Borough of Paramus: defense of case under Federal Telecommunications Act, defense of inverse condemnation and civil rights cases
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Third Circuit Pro Bono Counsel List